Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, March 28, 2011

Baptism in the Ocean!





My Dear Family, What an amazing week I have had. To start out, it has really hit me hard that I have one year. It is not easy to grasp that. I have a goal to not have one single regret after the mission and I have been re-analyzing my mission, who I am and who I want to be. I have made changes and grown so much. Today, we climbed the Hill Cummorah. It is 45 minutes from our house and is so so so so tall. We went with the whole zone and had a special experience up at the absolute top (4,000 ft.). We offered a prayer and then had a testimony meeting on the highest mountain in Los Tuxtlas, the hill where Mormon barried the records in the ground as his people were being destroyed in the final battle. We read Mormon 6 and shared our testimonies about the work we are called to do. From up on the mountain we could see all of our areas. We talked about how much confidence our Heavenly Father has put in 18 missionaries. We are the ONLY 18 people in this town that can help God´s children here, have eternal life. We promised ourselves as a zone to give these two short years everything we have. I have been so blessed. We baptized again this week. In the ocean. Her name is Janneth del Carmen Ambros Utrera and is an AMAZING person. Before she had gone to church, she wouldn´t accept a baptismal date. One day, we received a miracle and she went to church, and her world changed. Almost a week later after the first time she came to church she told us that she had never felt so close to God as she had felt in the Church. She told us that she heard a voice tell her, "Welcome home. This is your church." I gained such a strong testimony of the church. It does miracles. The baptism was in the ocean and it was AMAZING! Apart from being 110 outside there wasn´t anything I would change. It worked out so perfectly, with bathrooms and showers to change and wash off after. Right before I did the ordinance, I asked her, "Are you ready to change your life?" She looked at me and told me that she was. After the ordinance, she started to cry and it was so special. Every time someone is baptized, it is a special experience, but I had never felt like that in a baptism before. Truly was something special. After, she told me it was a day she will never forget. I love baptizing. I am addicted. Her sister wasn´t baptized for "special" reasons that I´ve never had to deal with...she will be baptized this weekend if everything turns out right. She has a few obstacles. I can´t stop sweating. It is so so so so hot here. I thought I knew what hot was but this is different. I am now using sun screen on a daily basis. And they say this is nothing... that the real fun comes in May. Apart from the heat, the work is progressing so fastly. I am working with my friend, Elder Molina on creating a house of prayer in a community in our area very very far away from the church. There are so many people prepared to hear our message and change their lives. We are teaching a woman named Teresa who is amazing. She is in a wheel chair because of an accident she had in the United States and is paralyzed in the left leg. She will be baptized this Friday. Baptisms, Baptisms, Baptisms! Blessings, Blessings, Blessings! I love what I am doing and know it is the Lords work. Without him, I am nothing. Without his help, I can´t do anything. Elder Molina and I have the salvation of God´s children here in Catemaco over our shoulders and it amazes me the confidence that God has placed in me. I won´t fail him. I am strong and know who I am. I have so much to be thankful for. Know that I love you all. May the Lord continue to bless us as a family, as we strive to make our Father proud. I love you all! Elder James Ricks

No comments: