Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, July 12, 2010

My Family,

It is only after we are stretched to our very farthest, that the Lord comes and pushes us the rest of the way. This last week, when I thought I had my visa, then found out I didn't was the single hardest day of my mission so far. But from that experience I learned two things... 1) The Lord still needs me here. and 2) There was a reason I didn't go. And that reason is this: Yesterday we decided we wouldn't invite anyone to come to church and just see who came on their own without us telling them to come. Usually we have one single lady come. But yesterday we had five families and two single investigators come AAANNDDD it was the final of the World Cup!! Which means they WANTED to come. After church we went to the house of Angeles Sanchez who've we've taught for about a month now. This is when I realized why I'm still here. Yesterday she came up to me and said, "I'm ready to be baptized now. Elder Ricks... will you baptize me?" I started to cry. Somehow and in some way that Elder López and De Menezes couldn't, I touched her heart. Her date to enter the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is August 7th. I have mixed emotions because I want to be in Veracruz by then, but at the same time be able to baptize her.

I am good now. As the subject said, the grass is always greener on the other side. I choose every day to be positive. Your email helped so much. I lack the words to describe how much it helped. I never realized it, but being gone from you right now is exactly like how it was when Dad was in Texas. I miss hugs to. Some days are harder than others. I'm so glad to hear that everyone is doing good though. Hannah: I'm excited for you to leave to Mexico! I'll be right behind you! But Mexico is a scary place. Maybe ask Dad for a blessing before you go! :)

To answer a few of your questions:

Yes my companions both speak English but I won't let them. I ask them whenever they talk to me, to speak in Spanish. My Spanish is doing great! Yes I've told president how close we are to my family. My interview with the new president went awesome! He's a dentist and is so excited to be here! I don't need anything! We go to Walmart every Monday for groceries so if there was anything I needed I can just get it there. Yes we only get mail once a week and we get it on Tuesdays, after P-day so TECHNICALLY I can't write back till the next Monday. I did get the birthday list. Thank you for that!

I'll try to send back the memory card today or tomorrow. It sounds like everyone is excited to see some pictures! There are some cool ones from the 4th! Is there anything I can do for anyone? I pray for you all every day! You're in every single thought I have... but I don't let it distract me anymore... Now it motivates me. I can't wait for how sweet that moment will be in two years when I get to see you all again! But until that date, I am going to work my butt off. I've lost 10 lbs since the MTC. Just from biking and sweating! But I love the work here and I love the people. Even though Farmington is a 1/2 hour away. I'm here with Elder Ray right now emailing at the Family History Library in the Stake Center. He came with me from the MTC. He is probably one of the best friends I've made since I came on a mission. He is from Atlanta Georgia! He says HI!!! I'm so excited to hear how everyone is doing! Those rubber band bracelets sound awesome! Michael I wish I could see how tall you are getting! I will get going for now so you can maybe email back real quick! I love you all so much! Keep up the good work! NFTILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elder James Ricks

No comments: