Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

February 14, 2011 All Dressed In White!











My Dear Family,

What a week it has been. So many miracles passed by my eyes. I feel like I am progressing at the speed of light. Elder Harmon and I are receiving blessing after blessing here in Catemaco. On the 11th, 4 children of God returned to his fold. The Family Charmin entered into the waters of baptism and everyone has changed their lives for eternity. I can’t explain the humility I feel, to have been a small part in helping them do so. They will forever be a part of who I am. I will stop at nothing to see each one of them in the temple in one year! Their progression has been amazing. It is impossible not to cry when we testify how much we love them in the lessons we have had with them. I wish you could all see them right now. They are all shining so bright and remind me of my shining family, in Texas, and FLORIDA! :) They started from nothing - ready to get divorced. The fathers drinking problems were tearing the family apart. The two sons didn’t want to obey. Then we came. They have turned 360 degrees. I love this work.

Elder Harmon is having problems at home. His Grandpa is slowly dying. He began to cry last week and this time it was my turn to comfort him. I love my companion like a brother. I would do anything for him. I have had AMAZING companions all of my mission, but Elder Harmon is like Uncle James for Dad. I feel like, together, we are like Ammon and Aaron in the Book of Mormon. We are battling so hard against Satan. The first week of March is when all the witches in the world come here to Catemaco, and it gets a little dangerous. March is supposed to be the hardest month here in Catemaco and right now we have 6 dates for the 5th! We are truly seeing miracles here together. Our success right now is coming from the contacts we do in the street, and member references. Here it is almost positively a baptism when a member gives us a reference. This week will baptize a boy named Mario, a neighbor and friend of the family we just baptized! The next week we have two baptisms planned, the mother and brother of two of our converts. The 5th we have like I said, 6 possibilities and we are so excited to see what happens. The end of the change is in three weeks and we feel like this is the last three weeks of being together. We will pray that President doesn’t separate us but if he does, we know it will be okay.

I am always so thrilled every week to hear how good the family is. Like you can see the progress I’ve made, I can see the progress that each of you have made. Holy cow... Chandler is a teacher. Dude... you gotta stop growing. Soon enough, Michael will be in Tawaian and Chandler in Russia (just guessing) preaching the gospel to Gods lost sheep. What an honor it is. But of course, like it happened with me, you won’t be able to realize it, till it happens. I can’t believe I almost have 10 months. Time is flying by. I love Mexico so much. Right now it is like 75 degrees and one of the local schools is having a parade and there are sixty million kids in the street and every one of them has a trumpet or drum. One of the members in our branch has a son in it and he just walked by! I am so glad to hear that things are good at home. We are truly being blessed so openly by the Savior right now. In the scriptures it says that when we are obedient of the Lord, the windows of Heaven will be opened and blessings so great and many will be poured upon us that we won’t have room enough to receive them. When we share this scripture with investigators, I always like to ask the question, "Hermano, ¿de que tomaño cree usted, que son las ventanas de los cielos?" In English, "Brother, what size do you think the windows of Heaven are?" They always smile and say, "Grande!" They are so big. We can’t even imagine the blessings that our Father has in store for us, and ALL that He asks, is our obedience. I love you all so much. I know that just like the Family Charmin will be, WE are an eternal family. Nothing can stop us. We are invincible. What strength that knowledge brings. Know that I love you all so much. You are the very substance of my prayers. Juntos, a los cielos irémos. Together, to Heaven, we will go. Until next week! Many more baptisms, smiles, challenges, obstacles, and miracles to come!

Elder James Reed Ricks

P.S: You ALL have to hear a song that I love. It is called HEALING WATERS and it is a church song that talks about the healing waters of baptisms. I cry every single time I hear it.

P.S: There are three photos. One from the baptism of the Family, one from when we went to a waterfall and I got oranges from a tree, and the third one is a photo of a drawing that Jose Angel from the Family Charmin made. Get this... his favorite show that he watches every single Tuesday, is... THE BIG BANG THEORY! He is my best friend! :)

No comments: