Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, February 28, 2011

Strong February!

My Dear Family,

Wow! What a week it has been. Like always, so many miracles. We ended this week with our fourth consecutive baptism every week and it was a pure miracle. We were so blessed to baptize every week here in February. We have seen so many blessings and I know it is because of our obedience and diligence. Apart from being 6 thousand degrees here, the work is amazing and progressing! We are having a little problem with Brother Charmin that we baptized. Before we came he used to drink ALOT and this past week he fell into his bad habits. His family didn´t show up to church, so we left during Sacrament and went to their house. They told us why they weren’t there. We told them that they still have to keep the commandments and we told them to get ready because they were going to church. They did and they came with us. We are going to save Jose Antonio and we could use your prayers for him and his family. We are close to creating a ward here in Catemaco and a Stake in Los Tuxtlas. As you know, changes are in one week and we don´t know what to expect. President could leave us together another change or he could change us. Of course I will let you all know next week on Monday when we know. I feel like we will be together for a bit more time. I love Elder Harmon and I have learned so much from him. They sent him to me to train but I feel like he has taught me more! :) He had a rough week this last week because his Grandpa passed away. But he didn´t let him distract him from the work, like a good Elder.

This week our baptism is a 9 year old child. His older brother and sister were both baptized 4 years ago and at the time he wasn´t old enough to be baptized. His parents haven´t been baptized either. We went to their house two weeks ago and he told us he wanted to get baptized. While we were talking with him, his sister that was baptized, told us that she never received the Holy Ghost, which means her baptism is invalid and incomplete right now. We helped her understand that she had to get baptized again and asked permission from her mom. Her mom, Magdalena, didn´t like the idea of getting baptized two times in the same church and she closed up and denied permission from Oscar (9) and Dulce, her daughter. We didn´t know what to do. Thursday night, we walked back to the house thinking that we weren´t going to baptize this week. But we put our faith in the Lord and scheduled an appointment with the family. We went and taught the Restoration to the mother and after a long and extremely hard lesson of almost 2 hours, she decided to give permission to her son Oscar and we were able to baptize him this week. What a blessing and miracle, and it came when we put all of our faith in the Lord.

I wish I had more time today to write all of you personal letters but next week I am going to try and do it! I love you all so much. I almost died laughing when I read what Claire and Grace said. They are so cute and I miss them so much! Did my letters ever arrive? I sent them about a month ago! Keep an eye out and I´m sure they will get there some time. I am always so glad to hear that all is well at home. I can´t believe Michael turned 16. That is crazy! HE IS GOING TO BE DRIVING! Oh ma goodness! Everyone is growing up so quickly and I love hearing about it.

The package arrived!! And holy cow do I look good in my new pants. They fit 100% perfectly! I love love love love love them! All the gifts were so nice and thoughtful. Receiving packages is always one of my favorite things. The box and things always smell like home! I loved the watch and compass from Dads work. I wear it every day! The memory stick is perfect as well and I really appreciate it! I feel like the mail here is pretty safe but like they say it is always a little safer if you tape on a picture of Jesus or the real kicker is if you put on a picture of the Virgin Mary. Put one of those puppies on there and that package will never be touched! Even though it is a blasphemy towards God, the wickedly idolatrous beliefs of this people help my packages arrive safely! :) Family, I love what I am doing and wouldn´t be anywhere else. I am so thankful for all the blessings I have. I know that we are an eternal family. Much love and sweat here from Mexico! Until next week!!!


Elder James Ricks

No comments: