Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, April 25, 2011

The hottest place on the face of this planet!



My Dear Family,

This week has been great! But it has been the busiest week of my mission! Going from a trainer to a zone leader has been a big change in schedule and time and alot of work, but I haven´t stopped smiling for an entire week. So many things to share and say and so little time to say it all. Apart from all the changes and the busy schedule, I have enjoyed this week to think about the sacrifice of my Savior and his magnificent resurrection. The city where I am serving is EXTREMELY catholic and there are so many traditions and festivals here. It has been interesting to see a side of Mexico that I have never seen. I am serving in a city about the size of Layton, UT called Tuxtepec and it is by far the hottest place I have ever been since I left the womb. This last week it was 129 degrees every day. I now drink water all day long like it is my full time job. But do you know what? I LOVE IT! I love sweating like crazy and working my butt off here. Catemaco will always be such a special place, but Tuxtepec is quickly becoming another favorite.

My new companion is amazing! His name is Elder Canseco and is an ex-assistant to the president! I am so excited to learn from him and I have already learned so much! The first two things he taught me are two ways to cool down body temperature and be able to sleep at night when its 110 outside. When we get home in the night, we pray, plan and pray again to end the day. Then we take off our missionary clothes to just our garments. Then right before we climb into bed with a huge fan at the foot of the bed, we completely soak ourselves in the shower (garments and all) and then jump in bed. Absolutely soaking drenching wet. Combined with the fan and the cold water, it actually makes sleeping so so so easy! I haven´t ever slept so good in the mission! You all know that I like to be really cold when I sleep and it is SO cold with the fan on being soaking wet! The other trick is rubbing tooth paste on your face and it makes it feel like your face is covered in ice! We have had so much fun together so far and we are going to have a great change together! When I got here, we went with an inactive family in the night, and we found out that one of the grandchildren was 8 years old but was never baptized! She was baptized this week on Friday! Her name is Yazmin Sanches Navarro and reminds me exactly of Claire. She loves to read and draw pictures. When I got to her house one night she came up to me and told that she felt like I was her best friend and she had only known me for 1 day! She is a good friend and even more because she reminds me so much of Claire!

It has been an amazing experience learning how to be a leader and all the responsibility that there is. Every night we have to call all the missionaries and verify how their day went and correct problems if any. We loose alot of time traveling, baptismal interviews, and exchanges with other missionaries, but the Lord knows of our situation and blesses us openly! I am so thankful for the tips Dad. I have learned everything I know about being a leader from the best leader in my life... YOU! I always ask myself when I don´t know what to do, "What would Shawn Ricks do?" Then I do it. I remember that I learned how to be a leader watching your example. I have learned that the best leader is a leader how leads by example, not by fear. Kids... we are so blessed to have parents that teach us from our youth to be leaders. I teach destroyed families all day long who have no clue how a family really should be. If they could only live for one day in my shoes, to see what a real happy family is like, I know that it could change their lives. The Gospel Doctrine class this Sunday was about eternal families. The teacher asked the brethren, "Why do you want to be with your family forever?" I couldn´t help but get a little teary eyed. I didn´t say anything and just pulled out the photo of our family that I keep in my scriptures and think about each and every one of you and the experiences and memories I have with each of you. Dad in the hot tub. Mom in the movie theatre. Hannah in Ghengis. Michael on our dirt bikes. Chandler in the pool, and Claire and Grace when I ate lunch with them in their school. I am so thankful for the family I have, and want you to know that I know we are an eternal family. What a blessing that is.

I had another pure happiness moment the other day. It seems like they always come when I am on the bus on long trips. This last one was just as powerful as the last. I wouldn´t rather be anywhere else right now. I have never been so happy and satisfied with my life. I have never been able to say with such sincerity that I am living a pure life. I feel good physically, mentally, and spiritually and know that we are receiving so many blessings as a family. It comforts me so much to know that you are all good and happy! I am sad however to here about Dad. I hope you get better fast! What a champ you are. Oh and before I forget! I loved the pictures you sent me! The family photos have changed a little bit! Mike looks like a stud in his v-neck collar shirt and Chandler looks so grown up in the gray and purple shirt! Those are my boys!

To finish my letter, I wanted to send you the lyrics to the song, Lead Kindly Light but translated from the version in Spanish. I found in this last week and I have grown to love this song so much. Especially the second verse. It says,

There were moments, when in thy support, I did not lean.

Trusting in my own experience, I had no faith.

However today, I deplore that blind less.

Lend me, my God, thy freely-given clarity.

I love those few words. I know the Savior loves us and wants us to return with him. I know that even though I didn´t live a perfect life before the mission and lacked faith, the Savior of the World came to pay the price for my sins. "And by his stripes, I am healed" (Isaiah 53) May you all know that I love you and that even though I am sweating all day long, I have never EVER been so happy! We are the Ricks.. and we´re tough as bricks!


Elder James Ricks

No comments: