Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, June 13, 2011

:) Called to Serve


We made the strawberry one today and I let our neighbors who are members try it and they all went crazy! They loved it! Thanks for sending me that!!!!!


How I study the Book of Mormon in my excercise time!


A Mexican bird nest hanging from a power line. You can't see it very good from this far away, but there are a ton of little birds inside and the mommy bird as well!

My Dear Family,


Hi everyone! I had so much fun reading all of your letters! Today has been a great p-day and it has been an awesome week. Elder Rios and I are being so blessed. We had baptismal dates that fell through this week and that is always hard. We pray so much that Satan doesn´t interfere with our investigators and it is painful to see a postponed baptism. This week we have 4 baptisms planned. Marcelino, Olivia, Miriam and her 11 year old daughter, Julissa. They are all amazing people and I have grown to love all of them! We are still working with Tito and Adriana and Carlos as well. I feel uncomfortable when I don´t baptize in a week. We are taught here in this mission, to baptize every single week, and as I learned in Catemaco... its possible. I felt like I really got along with Elder Canseco when I got here, but I am now seeing that we didn´t work as effectively as we could have. Elder Rios and I have really got to work here and we are seeing the blessings.

It is interesting being a zone leader. It requires a high standard of excellence. I actually like being a leader. I, like my dad, was born to lead, not follow and the leadership opportunities I am having are helping me learn so much every day. We take time out of our personal time before bed to call all of our districts and talk with each one. We ask things like how did their day go, how many lessons were they able to teach, things they felt they did good, and things they believe they could improve. Then, at the end of every call, I tell them that I love them and ask if there is anything I can do for them. I like being their friends and gaining their confidence. Every Sunday at 7pm we return to our house and we call all the district leaders again, but this time to pass the statistics for their missionaries for the past week. It is interesting to look over the information and verify where we are having problems and think about how we can fix them. We are proud to have awesome missionaries right now. They are obedient and willing to sacrifice. Sometimes, like dad explained, I feel inadequate (oh dear I can´t spell in English anymore...) but I remember that for some reason or another, the Lord needed me.

Michael and Chandler.... I can´t explain to you both enough the love I have for my mission. I encourage you both to get down on your knees and promise our Father in Heaven to one day serve a mission. It will change you and your life. I am so thankful for who I am now and who I am becoming. The young women in this day and age, deserve a returned missionary. I learned that here in the field. The blessings are so great from serving a mission but the funny part is that Dad and I can´t even begin to explain how it really is. It is only learned from doing it. But don´t decide to come on a mission, because mom and dad and the Prophet have said that we should do it. Serve a mission, because it is what you want to do. I can only imagine you two dressed in white with ties and name tags on preaching the gospel. You will be amazing. I want so bad to be able to be one of your companions. How cool would that be? Your future companions will be so lucky to work with you. Michael, you have such a gift with people. That will truly bless you on your future mission and throughout your life. Chandler, you could make a dead guy laugh his head off. You have such a gift of humor and such a friendly personality. This will help you get along with every companion that you have! You both will be missionaries who come to serve and work hard. It is one of the saddest things I have seen, to see a missionary come here to the mission and just waste his time, the Lords´ time and the funds of the church and faithful tithe payers. The Lord needs obedient missionaries like you both will be. I can´t wait to hear all your stories! Maybe one of you or both will come to the Veracruz Mission!!!!!!!! :)

I have to get going for this week. I am always so uplifted to read your letters and feel your support and love from home. I switched the weather channel on the computer to San Antonio, Texas and it says that right now its at about 89! I bet you are all enjoying the cool weather! :) Sometimes I miss home, the weather, having a car, my ipod, cell phone but most of all family. But then I remember the song, Called to Serve, and I remind myself that I have just two short years (now just only 10 months!) to serve a mission, and an entire eternity to think about it. I want to be the missionary that the Lord needs here in Tuxtepec, Oaxaca right now. Know that I love you all and am so thankful for my eternal family!

Elder James Ricks

No comments: