Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, June 20, 2011

Happy Fathers Day! Happy Birthday Mom! Happy Birthday Hannah!‏

My amazing, wonderful, loving, eternal, happy, united, strong, dear kind family,

What a week it has been. I have been flooded with emotions towards my family this week. It has been a great week and one of the most successful of my mission. We baptized four souls this week and they are true converts and are headed for the temple of God. Their names are Marcelino and Olivia who are brother and sister. We also baptized a mother and her daughter. Their names are Miriam and Julissa. Julissa is 11 years old and reminds me exactly of Claire, but with the hyperactivity of Chandler! She gave me a big hug on the day of her baptism and wanted to hold my arm as we walked into the church for her baptism. I love being a missionary! It really has been and keeps being the best time of my life. Every day I get down on my knees and the first thing I thank God for is the sacred opportunity I have to represent the Savior of the World. I know he lives. I feel his presence everyday.
I am a little sad to tell you that right now I am a little (okay alot) sick. I have thrown up all day today and am physically exhausted. I don't know what caused it but I woke up in the morning sick to my stomach. It was the first time I have thrown up in the mission and while I was puking the funniest memory came to my mind that made me laugh. One time I was sick and throwing up and I can't remember very good who it was or what they said, but I think they asked me if I wanted water or something. I remember I held up my finger as if to say, "Hold on one second I am puking my guts out!" Good times! I have to tell you about my companion and the love he has shown me today. While I was either in the bathroom hunched over the toilet, or sprawled out on the floor trying to cool down, he made me jello because he knew I couldn't eat much. He cleaned the apartment by him self and practically washed all of our garments as well. All I could do was sleep today and he has been so patient with me. We all know that when I am sick, I groan all day long and I am not to fun to be with. I love my companion. He teaches me so much. As we passed fathers day together, we both talked about our dads. Eight months before my companion came on the mission, he, his younger brother, and his dad were in a horrible car accident. That is why my companion has big huge scars on his face. In this accident, he lost his hero--his dad--and it was hard to decide to still come on the mission. The accident was four days before his family was going to be sealed in the temple. They have since then, been sealed as a family for ever. I really don't know what I would do if I lost my hero. It would be like loosing a piece of my body. I have the best father in the whole wide world and I want everyone to know it. Everything I am is because of who my dad is. I had a strong experience this week that opened my eyes so much and brought tears to my eyes.
We have a district leader who is like a fragile piece of glass. He is really pride full and has a hard time accepting advice or comments from us as his leaders. When I got here to this area last change, I could tell that he didn't like me just because I was his zone leader. I worked my hardest to gain his confidence the last change and now we are the best of friends. Anyway... this last Sunday we called him to report his district stats. My companion was the one who was talking with him. I don't understand what happened, but in the end of the call my companion was offended by this elder and the elder was offended by my companion. We let this settle down and then got back to the house in the night to plan. This elder called me and told me that he trusted me and needed help from me. He expressed that he was mad with my companion for what had happened and asked me how he can be more patient. I explained that before the mission I was really inpatient and was hard to deal with. I explained to him that the mission has taught me how to be patient. I have learned that to be patient with others I need to step down from my thrown and try to understand from where the other person is coming. He told me, "That is interesting... I guess I do need to step down from my thrown." Then we ended the call and started to plan for the next day. At the end of the final prayer I remembered something my hero--my dad--had taught me...the importance of asking forgiveness. I told my companion that I wanted him to call the elder and ask him to forgive him even if he felt like he hadn't done anything wrong. He called and they resolved the situation. When he finished the call he told me with tears in his eyes that he was grateful that I said that he should call. I thought to myself... hold on one second. How many times did my poor dad have to try to teach me that lesson before I understood. Dad... now I understand. I put something in practice that you have taught me all my life and I felt so strongly your love as I helped my companion and the elder fix their small problems.
I thank my father in heaven for my family everyday. I don't know who or where I would be if it wasn't for each one of you. I know we are an eternal family and that makes me so so so happy. I will get going for this week,but know that I love you all so much! I absolutely LOVE the power point Clarie. Dang Power Point made me cry like a big old baby! :) Know that Elder James Reed Ricks is loving life even thought its 120 outside and he is puking like a dog! Oh the life of a missionary. :) Every day a blessing!

Elder James Reed Ricks

P.S:::: Right now we are in a Internet cafe and the guy in front of me is singing SO loud! He is listening to music on the computer and has his head phones on and every one here is cracking up! Mom you would laugh so hard!
The shirts are perfect as well! They fit me perfectly! I cant think of anything right now that I need! I am doing pretty good! Love you!

No comments: