| Bus Ride to Veracruz |
| Missionaries at the Bus Station |
| Brother & Sister Charmin Sealed March 10, 2012 |
| An Eternal Family |
| Elder Ricks & the Charmin Family |
| Elder Ricks & Elder Harmon |
| Friends & Family of the Charmin Family |
| Elder Mathias & Elder Ricks with Members in Camino Real |
My Dear Family,
It has been an absolutely crazy week! We had the visit of Elder De Hoyos and his wife, and I Witnessed the sealing of the Charmin Family in the Veracruz Temple! It has been such a spiritually uplifting week, and I have really been impacted by the events that Heavenly Father had allowed me to live. I feel so close to his presence. It was also a rough week, with lots of obstacles and challenges. We had five baptismal dates for this last week, but they were put back to this week. This Saturday, we will have 5 and we are loading up the tank for the next weeks! I am so happy with Elder Mathias. He is such a Christ like example and helps me stay on track. He is 100% focused and loves to work hard. It is so much better, and easier to do what we have to do, when we are a divine companionship, and we are lead and guided by the holy ghost. I love Elder Mathias. He has taught me a lot and been a great example.
The visit with Elder de Hoyos was really special. He still remembered me from Mexico City when he bought me lunch! He and his wife talked about the importance of the atonement in our lives, and helped us remember that the atonement should be the center point of everything we teach. He talked about the literal gathering of Israel and I learned so much! His wife gave us a quote that really helped me a lot! It says, "When you young missionaries understand the atonement of our Lord Jesus Christ, there will be no need for missionary rules." I really liked that. There are sadly enough, alot of missionaries who don't understand the sacred nature of our calling. It is so true. When we realize who we are and what we are doing, there is no need for rules. The other thing I learned is that the "rules" are not just for the two years I am a missionary. They are eternal principles of obedience and I cannot receive the blessings I desire, if I do not obey.
But the highlight of the week, by far, was entering the temple with the Charmin Family. I don't have the words sufficient to explain how I felt to witness the creating of an eternal family. Hno Charmin, is now the BRANCH PRESIDENT of Catemaco!!!! His wife is counselor of the Relief Society and they are the strongest family! I shared tears with Elder Harmon, as we watched our family all dressed in white enter the sealing room and make sacred covenants. I was and am still so so so so happy and grateful for the success of that family. They have had a lot of trials and Satan did everything he could to keep them from coming to the temple on Saturday, but they won. They got to Veracruz on Saturday at about 8:00am and we arrived and surprised everyone at 8:15am. No one from the branch knew we were coming and it was SOOOOOO special to see all the life long friends I made there in Veracruz. They brought sandwiches to eat and drinks and we were with them the whole day! Elder Harmon and I were witnesses in the session and... you guys... I cannot even explain it. They were so happy and they all felt that they had reached their goal. After they were baptized, Elder Harmon and I gave them a photo of the Veracruz Temple and on the back we wrote that the goal was to get sealed in one year! And one year, one month later, they did it! Overwhelming feelings of gratitude and joy fill my heart as I look at their picture on my camera over and over and over again. I love their smiles and the look on their faces. Jose Angel, the oldest son, is preparing to leave soon on a mission and Omar will too in about 4 years! I love the Family Charmin and know that they will always be a special part of my mission.
Thinking so much about them, makes me think about my own family. I wouldn´t be able to do what I do, if it weren´t for each of you! Thank you so much for you support and your love and prayers. I know that we, just like the Charmin Family, are an eternal family. We WILL be together forever. I love you all so much. I am stunned about how fast the time has gone. I know the time is winding down, but I try not to think about it. I don't ever want it to end. But I am ready and prepared to put everything I have learned in practice. Until next week!
ELDER JAMES R RICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment