My Family,
Another AMAZING week added to the books. Veracruz is the best place on Earth. I am in love with Mexico, the culture, their unhealthily spicy food, their taco bike-carts, and their testimonies. So much has happened this last week. The hurricane is still affecting lives. More and more destruction everyday. Good news though, is that my area, Volcanes, is one of the highest parts in Veracruz south, and for this their is little major damage to the houses here. However, every missionary and youth from every stake in Veracruz went to a city called Cardel this last Saturday. Oh. My. Word. That was hard to watch. 8 people died there. The city is built right next to an enormous river and when the hurricane hit the water raised 20 feet. 2-story houses were devoured and swept into the river. President collected us together and told us to go and contact everyone but instead of teaching them, offer service. We found a family with a father and mother and two little girls. There house had feet after feet of mud. We removed mud by hand with little shovels for hours and hours. It was 9000% humidity and super hot but at the end when we looked back at the work we had done, I was amazed. We helped them so much. We told them about our church and the reason why we are such a ´´happy´´ people even amidst these times of despair. There is always hope. We have the Holy Ghost. We often take for granted what it means to have the holy spirit of God, the very power he used to create this world with us constantly as members of his church. After that day, I will not be able to live the same. By this I mean, it will be forever impossible for me to take for granted all the blessings that we have. We truly are blessed. But that doesn´t mean that we need to feel bad. Our Heavenly Father has a plan for each one of his children.
Now for a bit of lighter news... Hannah.... My companion is obsessed with you. I was showing him photos of my family and he screamed at the top of his lungs when he saw your picture. I think it is so funny. He says he is going to come live with me after the mission so he can meet you. He has asked me a lot of questions about you and it has really made me think back to all the times and memories we have. I told him everything you like, even down to the Spice Girls theme song. I am overwhelmed with love for my family. I can´t explain enough the feelings I have. Dad, I couldn´t have asked for a better example. Mom, I get tears in my eyes every time I read your testimony that you know that your son is protected. Hannah, I love you. And so does Elder Gutierrez. Dr. Michael, my advice for a boy your age is to prepare to serve a mission. It is something that you will not understand the importance of, until you hug your family for the last time at the MTC and really realize why your are serving. The mission is changing my life so much and I feel the best I´ve ever felt in my entire life. Chandler, I think you´ve found your passion. Wood working. I love you bud. Always so passionate about what you like to do. Claire, You will be a famous news anchor some day. I love you! Grace, I´m sorry to hear that you don´t feel to good. I love you!
I found a scripture the other day that brought tears of joy to my eyes because of the memories it brought. It is in Alma 41:15 and it is the main message of the book and movie, ´´The Secret.´´ I love those times when we would watch the secret and set goals every year. Our family is amazing. On Saturday after the service in Cardel I had my first terrifying experience with public breast feeding in mid-lesson. They say that I´ll never get use to that. I believe them.
No big motivational story or quote today but just the reassuring knowledge that I´m safe and up to my neck in this great work. I love what I do every day. We had a baptism scheduled this last Saturday, but the investigator´s cousin was lost in the hurricane and had to leave to go and try to find him. I´ll let you know how his story goes.
I love you all so much. I think about each and every one of you every day. I know that we are an eternal family and that is the happiest thought I know of. Until next week, I leave you with my testimony that I know that Christ is our Savior. I know that the power of the Holy Ghost is real because I use it every day. I know I was divinely called and set apart to serve the lord in these times. I love you and I can´t wait to talk to you soon for Christmas!!!
Elder James R. Ricks
1 comment:
Sounds like your doing great and doing the work well James! You are awesome!
Post a Comment