Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, November 15, 2010

Big News!







My Dear Family,

Wow... What a week it has been. As you know, Elder Butler and I received a missionary fresh from the MTC. He is and has been being trained by Elder Butler and my role has been, "to set a good example..." Last Wednesday, Elder Butler had a meeting for leaders in the mission and in this meeting they told him that the following Tuesday, something called "cambios rarros" or "rare changes" was going to happen and that we would all know the outcome on Monday. Eight visa-waiters arrived from the MTC this week and President had to do some switching around. This last Saturday, the three of us had to go to the mission offices so that our new companion could receive his money because his credit card from the church hasn´t arrived yet. When we were there President came up to me and asked me "How you doin Elder Ricks?" I told I was perfect and couldn´t be better! Then he told me... "Pack your bags!" He didn´t tell me anymore than that but I knew that this Tuesday (tomorrow) I would be leaving Volcanes.

Saturday night, the Zone Leaders called me with more news. Elder Gardner (he is from San Antonio Texas!!!), our ZL told me to sit down because he had important news. He told me that this Tuesday I would be leaving. And then... he told me..... that... I will be a trainer! I have less than seven months in the mission. Only two of these months in Mexico. I went from being a junior companion, skipping completely being a senior companion, and jumped directly to being a trainer. I was so surprised, but SO excited! It was my goal to train new missionaries in the mission and now I get to! This means further down the road I could be a district leader and zone leader! How cool is that!? I´m so excited to be a "father" and teach him all I know. The funny and horribly scary part is that he will be an American and not know hardly any Spanish! I will take control and improve so so so much! The other scary thing is that the area where I will go (I still don´t know... Tomorrow they will tell me) will be white-washed. Or in other words, there won´t be a missionary in the companionship who knows the area, knows the people. or anything! How cool is this! President has put ALL his trust in me that I can handle a new area, Spanish, and a new companion! I am so excited to get to work and see the miracles that this work brings.

I thought saying goodbye in Salt Lake was hard. I cried today. I went to see a family (the family whose son just entered the MTC to go to the SLC mission) and when I left the mom, her daughter Viviana (21), and their grandma, were all bawling like crazy. They told me that I have become a part of their family. When I was sick, they brought me food and water, and made special soups to take care of stomach problems. When ever we had to use the bathroom but were far away from our house, we went to theirs. We went this morning to take pictures and to have them write a message in my journal. I gave them a tie that I bought in SLC and wrote a message on the back. Viviana has become a life long friend. It is so interesting the way the Lord works. I never knew that I would find these people, but all along, he knew that I would be here at this time in the history of the world and knew the friendships to be made. It will be so hard to leave here in Volcanes, but I am excited to move and have more of these experiences.

Sounds like always, that things are doing amazing at the Ricks home! Mom it sounds like you are super super busy with all the training you are receiving! But what a cool field to be involved in! I bet you will see a bunch of cool (and gross) things! Thank you so much for the shoes you are sending! I´m in need of them! Ha ha Brother Rodriguez is so awesome!

I will go for this week and try to send some photos real quick! More information to come in next week’s letter! New companion, new responsibilities, and new area! I can´t wait! I love you all! Never forget that! I´m going to write a letter a get it in the mail tomorrow! I feel bad I haven´t been to good at that lately. I love you all! Thank you for your prayers and support! Till next Monday!

Elder James Reed Ricks

No comments: