Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, November 29, 2010

Cascadas de los Toucanos!






My Dear Family,

WOW! What a crazy week it has been. I have learned so much and it seems like I just barely logged off last week. To answer questions first, the mission will provide a phone to call from when the time comes. I haven’t heard when or where we will do it but Hna Hansen will make sure that every one of her missionaries talks to their parents! :) I am thinking about buying a new camera. There is a super sweet one here that is Sony so it will accept the memory cards that I have and it is about $100 US Dollars (1000 pesos) Let me know if that would be okay. I was thinking about something else I could use for Christmas! I have a Gillette razor to shave but here in Mexico, they don’t sell replacement blades! Could you look for some there? They are called Gillette Fusion and they are blue and orange! I don’t need the handle, just the blades! Guess what girls?!?!? There is a tiny little Christmas tree in our house! We put it on top of the fridge! We are going to buy each other gifts and put them under the tree!

Now for a little of the mission life... This week we have worked our butts off. There is not one single second to waste being disobedient or waste time here in Catemaco. Satan is SO strong here. The members are afraid. We are the strongest light sometimes that they have here. It is SO powerfully encouraging to know who we have on our side. Elder Dominguez is an amazing missionary. I think he will be one of my favorite companions. We teach so powerfully together and we are starting to see the success. Two weeks ago, the area we are in right now was part of another mission. The Presidency of the Church in SLC, changed the mission boundaries again, and we once again received this sacred ground in the Mission Verdadero! This is the literal walking grounds of prophets from the Book of Mormon. The final battle in the Book of Mormon, happened about 30 minutes from my front door of our house. The people here are so prepared to hear the gospel and THAT is why Satan is working so hard here. This last Sunday we had district conference (ask Dad to explain what a district is... :) and a random person and her children showed up. We wrote down their directions and went later after church. She is what we as missionaries like to call, GOLD. She will be baptized the 11th of December with her son, Felix. She has 5 small children, the oldest is only eight! All of her kids get so happy when we arrive! I love the work of the Lord. I have seen miracles and they are just starting. I cant believe how fast the time is flying! Seven months... gone. I have learned so much. So much that I cant summarize it all in one email. We will have many, Many, MANY, FHE's when I get back to share all the experiences I've had!

Today we went as a zone, to some of the coolest places I've been in my life. There is a waterfall (in Espanol its called cascada!) called Cascadas de los Toucanos! Its 40m tall and amazing! I'm going to attach or send an email with photos that we took! After that, we went to a beach that is called Playa Escondida. It means hidden beach and it was BEAUTIFUL! I went down to the sand after climbing down like six million stairs and drew my name in the sand. The smells of the ocean brought back some of the strongest memories I have. So many family experiences that I will never forget. I found a sea shell and am going to keep it!

I will get going for now, but I want you all to know that I have thought a lot about all of you lately. I am so thankful for my family. I would NOT be here at a computer in Veracruz, Mexico, serving a mission if it weren't for my family. Each and every one of you is an example to me and I am so thankful for that. Oh before I forget... I haven't received the package with cd's or the pen. I hope they come. I'm sure they will. It just takes a while. If there is something that I have forgotten I apologize. I wait all week long for this sacred hour to talk with you and when I get here at the computer I get a little excited! :) I love you all so much! Many many cool and spiritual experiences to come! This week, we are most likely changing houses and the new house is super awesome! I'll be sure to send more photos! OH! Today, I bought a hammock! Almost every house here in Mexico, has installed in the walls inside the house, hooks to hang hammocks. Today I bought a sweet huge hammock that is green and black! I'll send pictures this next week! Love you all! Thank you for your blessings, prayers, and support! I love you all! Hasta la proxima semana! Que la venga rapida!

Elder James Ricks

No comments: