Nestor, Elder Ricks & Elder Del Valle
Elder Ricks, Luz Mireya & Elder Del Valle
MY DEAR FAMILY,
I cannot believe the speed at which the time is flying by. We have had such an amazing week. I am in love with my new area and so excited for the challenges and experiences it has to present. I feel so weird. I don´t feel like a young missionary anymore. I have been thinking alot about my mission this last week and where I have come from and where I want to go. When I was in the airport with the General Authorities, Elder Thomas told me, "Finish the race running. You´ve almost made it." I have thought alot about what I want to accomplish in these last six months. Later, my companion and I we´re studying and watching some Preach My Gospel training movies and one elder commented, "I´m in the last six months of my mission. Its my time to shine." Elder Ricks is about to explode with energy and excitement. It is MY time to shine and put EVERYTHING I have learned in 18 months to practice. I am ever so confident and not comfortable. That means I feel confident in knowing what I need to do, and not being comfortable, means I wont settle for anything less. Here. We. Go.
Elder Del Valle is one the best missionaries I know. He got to the field so ready and excited to work. It reminds me alot of me when I got here. He is my fourth "son" or new missionary that I have trained and we have loved these three weeks together! Last week, like I mentioned we baptized two people, Luz Mireya and Nestor. They are both so special to me. I am going to send pictures. Nestor can´t wait to be a missionary. Elder Del Valle is from Cuernavaca, Mexico and comes from an all member family. He has a huge testimony and he really loves the work.
This last week has been so hard. We had low numbers and we fought alot with keeping up the excitement. Sunday night I just sat down with my companion and told him we had to talk. We talked about what we are doing good, what we need to change and we set goals to be a divine companionship like Elder Holland has challenged us as missionaries to be. I have thought more and more about my family. It feels weird to know that in six months I will be with all of you again. I am excited and nervous. I have changed so much and I know you will all be like, "Wow... Who is this guy?" Ha ha But that is okay. That's what I want you to say.
So many missionaries try to live their missions to make it like other missionaries missions. I am so blessed and content to have lived (up until now) the mission I have been blessed with. It was and is EXACTLY what I needed to save myself. I will never be the same. Serving my Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ has SAVED MY LIFE: I now know who I am but more importantly, I now understand, who HE is. I love him so much. He died on the cross for me. He only wants that each one of us, follows his example.
Yesterday after church, and such a hard week of difficulties and obstacles, we found a mine of gods chosen children. We were half way through the lesson and the mother we were teaching asked me, "How much time do I need to baptize me and what are the requirements." With tears in my eyes as I right these very words, I testify that she has been the product, or project of the work of angels. She has been prepared to hear the gospel and accepted a baptismal date along with her husband and children for the 12 of November. Mike and Chandler, buckle up for the most satisfying thing you have done it your entire lives.
I love my eternal family. I write in my journal daily about you all. I am not kidding, In six months I want you to read all my journals. You will see. I kneel and pray daily for each one of you. Gosh I just love you all so much. I am entering the last few seconds of the "game" as dad explained as I hugged him goodbye at the parking lot of the MTC. I am in the fourth quarter and there is two minutes left. I am going to slam dunk it at the buzzer. We are the Ricks. Let's kick some Satan booty. Love you all!
Elder James Ricks
No comments:
Post a Comment