Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas time!!!!

My Dear Family,


I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR! My whole area is lit up right now with lights and I love how it is finally freezing cold outside! I haven`t worn a sweater for 19 months so it is a welcomed change! This week has been so much better, health wise. I am strong as a horse again, running up and down hills and mountains and walking like 15 miles daily! I really have felt God's protection. I know he is watching over me and my companion. I am so excited to finish this year strong. We have several investigators in the tank and we´re really working hard. We are focusing right now as I have said in other letters, in incomplete families. We are baptizing this week two who both come from part member families. One's name is Gabriela and the other Maria. They are both so excited to be baptized and it has been such a blessing helping them prepare for baptism. Gabriela feels the spirit so strong in every lesson. She always ends the lesson with tears rolling down her cheeks. She has had such a hard life and it is so easy to see how the gospel has lightened her load. More and more every day, I realize the blessing we are as missionaries to the people we teach. In all of this city, my companion and I alone are the only two twenty-year-old boys, who can offer salvation. What responsibility and trust I feel.

We had Elsa on track to be baptized this last Saturday. But long story. About 2 days before her baptism, she told us, "Elders, when I was a girl, I use to go to the church with my family. I remember that my dad was baptized. I am not sure if I was baptized or not, but could you check and see if I'm already baptized in the church?" We laughed and thought that would be impossible, but wrote down her information and checked that night with the offices in SLC. Sure enough... 47 years ago, Elsa was baptized and is a member of the church. We explained the following day, that she was already a member and she just began to cry. She began to explain that for all of her life, she has felt like 2 people. She has felt like she didn´t know who she was, or the purpose of life. But when she found out she was a member all along of the church, she cried and told us, "Now I know who I am." She thanked us for about 20 minutes for helping her come back to the church. She said, "I´ll be in this church till the day I die!" I love her so much and I am 100% positive I knew her in the pre-existence. I am sure she told me, "James, I need you to find me down there. I need you to bring me back and help me return to Fathers home." She loves us so much. Even though we didn´t baptize her, I feel the satisfaction as if we would have. She is so happy to come to church every week and even paid tithing this last sunday, after 47 years of inactivity. The Lord works in mysterious ways and they never cease to amaze me.

I am passing through a time of refinement. I feel everyday that I am changing and improving. I struggle with pride, and with patience but am studying the attributes of Christ to try to be more like him. I am so happy to feeling better and on my feet again. This week, we get to go to the temple. Wednesday I believe. I can´t explain how excited I am. Its not even funny. I am sure my package will be there tomorrow! Love you all so much! Know that I love you and that I am so excited to talk by skype in two weeks!!!!!!!!! I am excited to see you all! Make an account and every thing ahead of time and I will make on too so that we have time to "add" each other to be able to talk.

Elder James Ricks


MOM,

I will call the offices and see whats up. I am sure it will arrive because all day long the offices get packages. I will call and see what is up. I also mailed my package today. I am a little worried because instead of 78258 for the zip code, I put 78260. I don't know what I can do but I pray it gets there all fine. I love you!!!!!!

No comments: