Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, December 6, 2010

December 6, 2010













My Dear Family,

Wow... It is December! El tiempo esta volando! First and foremost, I received the cd´s and the PEN! I have used the pen every day since I got it! I love it! Chandler... I cried when I opened it. I love this pen and I will use it every day of my mission. I can’t explain to you how grateful I am for that. Mom and Hannah... Thank you so much for the CD´s! I´m listening to them right now as I write this email! I absolutely love the songs on it! It really means a lot! I will use the money to buy a camera! Thank you so much! Before I forget! Yes Elder Dominguez will be with me until he goes to his house! He will go to his house January 21st! I have thought about my family a lot in the mission, but even more in this month. It is such a special month. Even down here in Mexico, everyone seems to be more happy and more focused on living a good life. I would be lying if I didn´t tell you that this week was hard. Our baptism for the 4th fell through for this week because the mom needed to talk to her husband but her son will be baptized on the 11th. We have a baptism for Christmas night too! We are planning a Bauti-mission! That means that every companionship on Christmas day, the 25th, will have at least one baptism! Lots of opposition here in the work of the Lord. Lots of obstacles that our investigators were faced with this week. OH! Before I forget! The number or code you will need to call Mexico for the Christmas call is: (it is the number in red!)

México to U.S.A. 00+1+ número telefónico
U.S.A. to México 011+52+ número telefónico

They haven´t told us much yet, just that this is the code you will need. This week we will find a member that will let us use their telephone and I will email you their number next week. With this code and number (that I will email you) we will be able to talk! As far as the day that we will talk and at what hour I am not sure yet but I will let you know! President emailed us today saying that we should try to keep the call under 40 minutes. Think about what you want to talk about! :) I have some things ready! I can´t wait!

It is hard to see pain, but there is someone who is stronger than the Enemy. The feeling I feel when I say the words, "Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ, and be baptized by someone holding the Priesthood power of God?", and they respond "yes" is a feeling that I cannot explain. I feel like I have helped this person recognize their Father in Heaven, helped them remember something’s they knew a long long time ago in the preexistence. I feel blessed to be a part of this work and experience all these amazing feelings. I know I will never be the same person again because of what I have seen here. I am 100% committed to do what EVER it takes to return to live with Heavenly Father. We are so blessed as members of the only true church to have the standards and blessings that we have. I have thought a lot about this lately. I would NOT be the person I am right now if it weren´t for my family. Each and every one of you is who I am. What a blessing to be born into a family with the gospel, with parents who love each other and who don’t fight and aren´t separated, for a father who holds the literal power of God, and a mother who would give her life for her children. My Christmas gift this year is a gift from my God, and it is my family. I love you all.

I am sending photos of some cool things so watch for a separate email with those! I love you all. Please know that I am perfectly fine here in Mexico still sweating my butt off even though it is Christmas! I haven´t had stomach problems or anything for about a month now so please don’t worry about that! I am LOVING what I am doing here and I know this is where I should be.

Tell Jamie Pirrello and Dave Murtagh that I´m 100% Mexican now and loving every minute preaching! Dad, I will get something special for my investigators! What a great idea! Thank you for your inspiring words and thoughts. I love you! I love you all! Thank you for all your gifts and all that you have done for me. I can´t wait to talk to you!!!!!!

Elder James Reed Ricks

1 comment:

Candace said...

Thanks for posting all these! It's so fun to see all the pictures! :)