Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, May 23, 2011

I'm on the surface of the sun!


The motorcycle of one of our investigators


Off to find more investigators!






Me and an old guy whose job it is to pick up leaves in front of our house! Everyone calls him Grandpa and he doesnt speak spanish! He speaks a freaky weird dialect!








We ate at a fast food Chinese restaurant!








There is a English school on the corner here and I took a picture of their advertisement! It says, "Tu apols... Look! Your speaking english!" I loved how they spelt two apples! :)



My Dear Family,

HEY EVERYONE! How is everyone! It sounds like you are all good like always! Sorry to hear about your tooth pain Mom! That has got to kill! Right now we are writing in an Internet cafe owned by an investigator we are teaching right now! He says to tell you all hi! His name is Tito and is excited to be baptized. His challenge is and will be for a while, quitting smoking. Elder Canseco and I have some amazing ideas that should help him. Actually one of the ideas we are going to use is an idea Trevor gave me. We are going to buy a pack of cigarettes and dump out the smokes and put rolled up pieces of paper with scriptures written on them instead. They are called "Ciggar-nots" in English which doesn't translate to good in Spanish but we'll think of something!

This week has been so hot. It has been minimum 115 degrees out side. I sweat sweat sweat and sweat. The good news is that I will come home about the size of Grace. I can't even imagine how much weight I have lost since I started. One of the MANY blessings of serving the Lord. Its hot here but you know what....? I LOVE IT! I love working here in Mexico and it has taught me so much. I remember being so impatient in the heat in Cabo, but the mission has prepared me for many many many patience filled family trips to Mexico after the mission! AND... I will be able to speak Spanish with the "piranhas" :) I love my family and the memories I have of family trips.





Elder Canseco and I had an amazing week! We taught a TON of lessons. I set the record for my mission in lessons taught this week. We also found 11 new investigators and brought four awesome people to church. It was hard not baptizing this week. I am so use to baptizing every week but I know there will always be obstacles and challenges. It has made me want to work even harder to keep baptizing every week. Hey! Before I forget... How is Vicky doing? Was she baptized? How is Jennifer my friend from college doing? And how is Monique and their family? I really wish I had time to write everyone more frequently. I need to schedule my time better to be able to do it. Isn't sharing the gospel the best? Elder Canseco and I were talking the other day that before the mission we were happy, but NEVER like the happiness we feel right now. Before the mission I felt kind of empty. I knew who I was, but not really. Not anymore. Now I know who I am and am so thankful for my life. I wouldn't change a single thing. I am grateful for my weaknesses, because they help me learn and progress. I am really thankful for my testimony and for my membership in the only true church. In my patriarchal blessing it tells me that my membership in this church is my most prized possession, and that I should always protect it. I will always be a member of this church. I was thinking the other day about my future.... Just walking down the street in Oaxaca sweating like a horse, thinking about the James I wanted to be when I get back. All I could think about was serving in the church. I want to have a life time of callings in this church. I have so many blessings and am grateful to be able to recognize them now in the mission.

I will end for this week but want you all to know that I love you all so much. I love thinking about the memories we all have together and for the memories waiting to be made. Hawaii ought to do the trick! :) I remember playing Taps in the motor home when we crash landed in Kanab. I remember when you all would come to Subway to buy sandwiches and visit me at work. I remember Ricks Family Goal Setting sessions and I remember sitting in church with our family taking up a whole bench. I have the best family on the whole earth. I know that you all love me so much, and that is why I love you all so much! Have a great week! May you all have the opportunity to share your testimony with someone this week! There is nothing better!


Elder James Ricks, the happiest missionary in all the world! :)


P.S: Mom... I forgot to explain a few things!! :) Every single Sunday, a list is passed around in Relief Society. On that list the sisters sign up for the days that want to feed the missionaries. We eat breakfast in the house, usually not much and then we don't eat again until 2pm. Here in Mexico the lunch is the biggest meal, not dinner so we eat lunch everyday with the members in their houses at two. Then when we get back home at night, if there is still time, or if we are still hungry, we snack a little right before bed. We hardly are hungry when we get back... Just thirsty! Today I bought a spray bottle and am going to use it for a brilliant idea I had. I filled it with water and put it in the fridge! I am going to sleep with it by my bed to use and spray me to cool off in the middle of the night! :) Love you! :)


P.S.S: The letter is suppose to be like the Mexican flag! :)

No comments: