Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, May 16, 2011

Zone Leader "duties" (said with a nacho libre accent)

My Dear Family,

It has been a rough week! As zone leaders we have been super busy like always, but this week it is been more than usual. I had an experience that I thought I would never have and it made me think alot about my mission. On Thursday, we had a zone conference and after the conference, Presdient Hansen told us that he felt like something wasn´t right. He recieved revelation that we needed to visit to house of a district leader and search out problems. In the mission language, it´s called "fishing for sinners." Saturday morning we got up at 4:00am and hopped on a bus at five for the hour and a half trip to Tierra Blanca. We arrived and went to the house missionaries and found the first problem. They were sleeping in. We have to wake up everyday at 6:30 and they slept till eight. We banged on the door and the poor things jumped three feet. They knew there was problems. We told them that they had to leave their house so we could check their luggage for things that they shouldn´t have. We found books and music that is not allowed but the worst of all.... playing cards. After we visited them, we went to the house of another companionship and found more disobedience. Long story short..... Three missionaries were changed areas and all lowered to junior companions. I learned so much from this experience. My mind cannot comprehend how someone can waste even a single second of the Lords time here as missionaries. I learned why it is important to always be obediant and the affects that disobedience has on missionary work.

I cannot believe Mike had his first date! That is amazing! I want to hear from you how it went bud! I am sure it was hard to say goodbye to Hannah again. She makes everyone in her life smile and be happy. I try to be more like her everyday. We are so lucky as a family for the blessings we have. Every once and a while I´ll have the wierdest memory about the family pop into my head. The other day all of the sudden, I remembered when Dad and I put in the drain pipes in the sports court. I thank my Heavenly Father for all those memories I have in all of my prayers. I love being a missionary so much. I love knowing that all I have to do is be obediant, and the words that I speak, will be filled with power and authority. I love the scriptures. I love diving into the the lives of ancient prophets and trying to learn everything I can from them. The Book of Mormon has helped me so much. I know that by its teachings, I can return to live with God.

I am running short on time this week cause I had so many emails to read but want you all to know that I love you so much and think about you always! I look forward talking to you all every single week! I cannot believe how fast the time has gown and how fast the time is flying! Before I know it, I´ll be home again sharing all my mission stories and photos with the family! Thanks for everything, and always remember that I love you!


Elder James Ricks

No comments: