My Dear Family,
I cannot believe how good it sounds that you all are! I am so excited and proud to be a Ricks and I am so excited and motivated to see all the success and blessings that we are recieving as a family! I am always asked by investigators or members, what is it that we do to be such a happy, strong, and loving family and it is always such a blessing to explain to them about my 7 best friends... 8 with Davis! I love to take a small moment during the Sacrament to think about each one of you and of the fondest memories we have together! I use these memories and strong feelings I have to motivate me to give a little more, work a little harder and search a little deeper!
This week has served to be a week of trials and learning. Elder Gonzalez and I have really been humbled and we have committed ourselves to work harder, and improve a few things. I am happy and proud to say that we are obediant missionaries, but there is always room to improve. We have set daily and weekly goals and written them down and taped them on our wall. I learned from my Dad, that a goal isn´t a goal until it is written and detailed, and put in a place were we can see it daily. We have few lessons this week, but the lessons we had were so awesome. I´d like to share an experience from one of them. It served to remind me, that God exists, and loves us.
We are teaching a little old lady named Angela. She is like 60-65 years old and lives with her daughter Yenni. She is a widow and has studied about many churces. Her sister was baptized in our church, and then shortly after passed away. For the longest time, Angela has had problems with praying. We leave with our investigators, the commitment to pray and ask God, if the Book of Mormon is true and if Joseph Smith is a prophet. She now has about three weeks in teaching and everytime we ask her how her prayer went, she says that she hasn´t felt anything. Now we as missionaries know that that is for one of two things... She either 1) doesn´t want to recieve an answer, or 2) doesn´t know how to recognize the spirit. My companion and I, one morning in a companionship study, prepared a plan for her. A lesson fit right to her needs. We searched the scriptures and made lesson plan outlines and the revelation came down as if it were dew from heaven. We put the plan in action and found that one of the things wrong was her form of praying. She had very different ideas of the how we should prayer, and everso gently and being led by the spirit, we helped her understand how we must pray and the importance of doing it right. (3Nephi 18:19-20)
At the end of a very spiritual lesson, we invited her to offer the closing prayer and in that same prayer, ask God, if these things are true. It was difficult for her, to get use to prying the right way, but she tried her best and said an amazing prayer. I will never forget her giving thanks to our Heavenly Father for sending me and my comapnion to her life. She asked what she had to ask and finished the prayer. Elder Gonzalez and I held still and I felt like I was in heaven. She didn´t say much. She just slowly lifted up her head, and said, "Lo sentÃ.." In English, "I felt it." The spirit of God, like a fire was burning that night under her little car garage. In that moment I wouldn´t have rather been anywhere else.
Shawn, Carol, Hannah, Michael, Chandler, Claire and Grace... the biggest thing I have learned as a missionary is that God answers our prayers. I have learned and seen personal revelation in my life and in the life of others. I know and testify that the God of all the universe, someone so big and immense, makes special time to listen to each and every one of his children... no matter how little they be. May we always remember to pray and never faint. I will continue to prary for each of you and give thanks to my Father in Heaven for each one of you! I love you so much and am so excited for the memories to made in the future! Like the Black Eyed Peas say it, "We´re having the time of our lives!"
Elder James Ricks
Mom... I spoke with President and he is going to interview me at our next zone conference! I also asked permission to fill in the essays and he said that will be fine! I am going to scan my drivers license and emai it right now. I didn´t leave any at home! I am going to think about my topics and pray and write them next week I think! Thank you so much! I haven´t if the package has arrived! I will check with the secretary and let you know next week! I think it should be here by now! Love you Mom! That moon doesn´t even compare to how much I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Monday, September 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment