Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Monday September 5, 2011

My Dear Family,

Wow... I don't even know where to start. This week has been so amazing... Full of blessings and miracles! I am so happy and love what I am doing! It was fun to see the comments from Pdte. Hansen! I got to love him so much and will always remember the things I learned from him. I have also grown to love Pdte Trevino! This last Thursday we had zone leader counsel with Pdte Trevino and learned so much from him. My companion and I left the meeting excited and flowing with new ideas to improve as zone leaders and to help our zone continue progressing. The Lord always blesses us when we leave our area for things we have to do and me and my best friend, Elder Gonzales saw that this week. We had an awesome day in church this last Sunday... We accomplished something that I have never done in my mission so far... We brought 15 people to church! And ten of them have dates to be baptized! Two of those ten were the Perez Family who I told you about last week! They are two amazing people and are excited to be baptized and prepare themselves to see their son again. We also brought a woman named Maricela to church and I would like to tell you her story this week!

Maricela is a single mother of one child. She is in her 30´s and her son is 18. She is bipolar. We were knocking doors, Elder G and I and she came out. She was actually a contact that Elder Rios and I did a LONG time ago, but we never could find her house. But the Lord hepled us get there almost 4 months later. We entered her home and began to know her and her mother who lives with her. She explained to us that she is bipolar but is taking medicine to help her sickness. We taught her like Preach My Gospel says, focused on her needs, adapting the principles of the Gospel to what SHE needs to know and hear. The spirit was strong and our words, spoken by humble missionaries, arrived at her heart, carried by the spirit. At the end of every lesson we explain that baptism is the way that our Father in Heaven has prepared for us to follow the example of his Son Jesus Christ. We explain that we need to be baptized by immersion, at an age of responsibility, and by someone holding the Priesthood authority of God. Then we ask this very direct and specific question, "Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ, by being baptized by someone holding the Priesthood authority of God?" She said yes.

The next thing we do, is put a date for the baptism, in the first lesson. We told her that the date we have prepared for her is the 17th of September. Her response was something I have never seen in my whole entire mission. She stood up out of her chair and walked to her cabinet where she had a notebook and pen and then returned to the table. She asked us to repeat the date again so that she could write down the date of her baptism. She then asked us the time of the service! Elder Gonzalez and I were so thrilled to find her and recieve this huge blessing! We invited her to church sunday morning and of course she went, but she did something in church that I have also never seen in my entire mission. She picked up her own tithing slip and asked how to fill it out with the Bishop, then PAID TITHING HER FIRST TIME IN CHURCH! It was so special to see her excitement of being in church with us and to see the light in her eyes, slightly beginning to brighten. I love being a missionary becasue every single day there are experiences like this. The Lord reminds me every day that I am his representative, and that when I am obedient to him, the blessings flow from heaven, just as Malachi explains in the Bible and Nephi in The Book of Mormon. I love this work, and I love my companion. I have never been so happy, blessed, tried, sweaty, and emotionally in-tune with the spirit! Mike and Chandler... you've both got an AMAZING experience ahead of you! I am so excited to hear your stories and see the things you will both learn.

I am enjoying so many blessings and I know it is because my family is kickin butt there in Texas! You all always say that you are so blessed for what I am doing but I want you to know I am being so blessed for what you all are doing. Thank you for your support, love, prayers, and letters! I love hearing from you! Till next week!!!!!!!!


Elder James Ricks

P.S... I am 200% better of my stomach! I haven't had problems for at least a week and a half now. I will talk with President Trevino tonight on the phone about BYU applications. He will gladly help me in anyway he can. Does he have to sign anything or do I need to have any forms or anything? If you could send in the next email an attachment of information about acceptance, and requirements I would love to read up a little bit about deadlines and a few things! Thanks! I was thinking today about somethings I would love and I thought of maybe a disc or two of church music. Preferably MOTAB or anything that has the church label. There is an awesome disc by Motab especially for missionaries! I would love it! I also haven't eaten Starburst in 16 months and the other day I was craving Starburst like crazy! Of course I always love the videos you send and the tons and tons of letters! Really Mom, anything that you send is awesome! I love everything and enjoy it all! Were you still going to send those ice-pack type thingies that you put in the fridge to cool down then wear it on your neck? That would be sweet! Thanks MOM! Love you!

No comments: