| Elder Ricks, Miguel & Elder Realivazquez |
| Miguel & Family |
| Miquel & Elder Ricks |
| Elder Realivazquez, Jose Maria & his mom Diana, & Elder Ricks |
| For My Mom "Carolina" |
Our Mexican Elder
My Dear Family,
FIRST OF ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIGUEL! To celebrate your birthday! I baptized someone named MIGUEL on your very birthday, the 23rd, of FEBRUARY! HOW COOL RIGHT!?!?!?!?! I cant believe how old you are! In two years, you will be a missionary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It has been a long, hard, happy, sad, tough week. Lots of mixed emotions. I think it has been that way back at home as well. The great awesome joyful news is that 3 people were baptized this week! We baptized Miguel, Jose Maria, and his mother, Diana. Their baptismal services were each so special and I am so thankful for the opportunity to be "their missionary." I have special bonds with each one of them, especially Miguel, the older man.
We are finding tons of new people to teach and among them, is a family with 3 deaf people! I have been learning how to teach the gospel in Spanish sign language! Their names are Carlos, Saul, and Alejandro. It has been one of the most sacred, spiritual and special experiences in all of my mission to watch someone offer a prayer, or accept the invitation to be baptized in sign language.
Elder Realivazquez has been doing a lot better. Sometimes it is hard, but we have learned. Yesterday night, my friend Elder Frey (he went to Viewmont) who is AP called me and we had a good long talk. He informed me that my companion will have special changes tomorrow (Tuesday) and that I will be given a new companion. There was a small (okay big) problem in the mission this last week, and 4 missionaries returned home, that is why they had to switch up our companionship. It will be hard to say goodbye to Elder Realivazquez. I was like 85% sure that he was going to be my last companion. But the Lord needs more. And I am ready. Trials are for us to learn. The Lord, and ONLY the Lord, knows what is best for each and everyone of his children, and that is a promise that I trust 1,000,000,000%. I am excited to study wherever it is. I just want to study. UVU sounds like a great option for right now. I definitely want to live with Trevor and Robb! I cannot wait for the memories to be made. :)
Rash update: It is about 95% gone! Elder Fullmer called me after you had sent him an email I think and he read what it said. It was actually kinda funny. Everything it said, I had done. I know that the Lord was and is watching over me. There is a sister in our ward who has really helped me. She also works in the mission offices with her husband. Her name is Hna. Yañez. She took all my clothes last week, and sheets and all and boiled them in hot hot hot water then washed and dried them! I have been following the medicine receipt the Dermatologist gave me exactly, morning and night. One of the things that she gave me, is soy powder. I mix it with 5 liters of waters every night and after I shower, I rinse myself with that, and it feels SO SO SO good. It helps me sleep without even thinking about scratching! I really do feel a lot better and I am thankful that everything has worked out so good! Thank you so much mom for you help and concern. I can´t even imagine how much you just stay awake at night worrying. I hope you know that I am so protected and blessed.
Today, we have a lesson with the three deaf people that I was telling you about. The family is so special. We found them through the mother, Juana, who we contacted in the street about three weeks ago. About 10 years ago, she lost her oldest son to stomach cancer. Her next older son, Carlos (the deaf one) is also suffering right now from kidney failure. He has to do dialysis daily and it is really hard for him. But even though he is so sick, and an older man, and CAN'T TALK, he is hilarious. He taught me how to say "My name is Elder Ricks. I´m a Texan!" in sign language. He likes to make small things to sell on buses and the streets like key chains and bracelets. He also lives with his deaf friends, Alejandro and Saul. Saul is his translator, and that is how we talk with him. We had a stake activity this last week, to commemorate the celebration of the organization of the Relief Society and they had a "Food Fair" and we invited him to come. He came with all of the family!!! We showed them the font where the people are baptized and his eyes got all big! He is so special. I love being a missionary.
I cannot believe that Elder Realivazquez is going. His next companion is one of my good buddies, Elder De la Rosa. I will miss him a lot. He has taught me a lot of patience, love, and humility. Having this change means also, that it is 100% sure that this will be my last area. I am more than excited and ready to sprint even harder and faster. I am not sure who my new companion will be yet. But I´m ready. Tomorrow makes 22 months. Me falta un buen! I still got a ton of time! Until next week... LOVE YOU ALL!
Elder James Ricks
MOM, I got the picture of Grace and the scriptures and I bawled like a baby. Thank you so much. I printed it out and put it in my scriptures to use in lessons when I teach the importance of reading the scriptures. Please tell her that I am so proud of her and that I am so thankful for her example to me! I love her and all my family so much!
I thought you would like the picture of "CAROLINA." After all, it is your Mexican name. To the day, every single person that I show my family picture too, the first question they ask is, "Is your mom Mexican?" The next question is, "Was that really how you looked before?" Ha hahahahaha Mexicans crack me up. They really are the funniest people ever. I love them so much. Enjoy the pictures all dressed in WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment