Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, February 20, 2012

Exciting news about the Mexico Veracruz Mission!














Elder Ricks and other missionaries that all went to
      Veracruz together on September 13, 2010




















My Dear Family,
  How fast the time has continued to fly! I cannot believe that is it almost MARCH! It has been a very hard, and a little sad, but really happy at the same time. This last week, President Trevino got us all together (the whole mission) to tell us that in five months, the Mexico Veracruz Mission, will be split in two. The new mission Mexico Xalapa Mission, will be formed and the mission will really change! First thought.... I wont be here to see the change. Second... It will be a little sad to say goodbye to friends and converts. And third... It is a huge blessing from the Father to be split as a mission. It is a direct result of hard work, and a growing expanding church here in the state of Veracruz. It means that the prophet has seen the work we have done here and has approved that another mission be formed here in this sacred land! There are a lot of mixed emotions and feelings, but we know that it is such a blessing from the Lord. It will be interesting to stay in touch with the mission and see the changes and differences!
  We have been working our tails off with member lessons. That is the key to all the success. In every food appointment my companion have developed an activity that helps us receive referrals from the members here and it is really special.
1) We share D&C 18:10,15-16. It talks about the worth of every soul in the sight of God.
2) We share an experience about when we have been able to help someone talk with the missionaries or join the church. I like to share story about Jennifer.
3) We ask the member family, to write down a list of five names of people they know: neighbors, friends, family, etc...
4) We all say a pray and seek revelation to know who is the person that has been prepared and is ready to hear the gospel. It is amazing to see what happens. Twice, a sister has said, " I don't know why, but I feel I need to choose...." It is so special to help a referral from a member be baptized.
  This short activity has really helped us have a lot of success, as well as inviting members to lessons. This week, we had a special experience that I will never forget. Remember Alejandra and her family that I told you all about? This last week, she really had not lost the desire to keep progressing, but really slowed down. My companion and I decided to invite a return sister missionary and her mother to a lesson with them. I remember we taught plan of salvation and they loved it. The members invited the family to church the next day and they committed to do so. Saturday night, we went by to remind them and see if we could help with anything for them to be able to go. I remember making a special promise to them I am so thankful for having followed the prompting I received to make them the promise that if they took all of their doubts, and worries, and problems in their head to church, asking God to receive answers and inspiration, that God would answer their prayers. After the services, Sister Alejandra came up to me and said, "How did you know?" I just remember getting tears in my eyes, as she told me that everyone of her doubts and worries she had about being baptized and a member of the church, were washed away. I am so thankful to be a member of the only true church and for the blessing it is to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord. She also received a huge miracle right before she came to church this last week. She was talking with her mother who is a strict strict christian and lives far from here, in Ciudad Juarez up by Texas and Arizona. They had been talking for a while and Alejandra told her mom, "Well I better get going. I have to go to church!" The mother felt so pleased and happy to hear that her daughter was going to come closer to Christ. She told her that it didn´t matter what church she went to, that is just mattered that she got closer to Christ. The mother told Alejandra right before she hung up, "I have a surprise to tell you! You aren´t the only one in the family who will be member of the church of Jesus Christ! Your uncle (who lives in Louisiana) was baptized in the Mormon church one month ago!" She was so happy to hear that she isn´t the only member of her family who would be member of the church, and she took it as a sign about what she should do. It has been a week of many blessings and miracles.
  I am so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so x 1,000,000,000 so so so grateful for each and everyone of you! For my membership in the Lords church and for the opportunity to serve my King as a missionary.
Dad: You´re the best. You´re my biggest hero and example.
Mom: I think about you daily as I look in the mirror and put on my smile.
Hannah: I tell everyone I meet about all the fun memories I have with you.
Mike: You are the coolest, doctor, basketball player, and chocolate guru that I know. You will be an amazing amazing missionary.
Chandler: I wish I had the energy that you have. I can´t wait to play piano with you while you play guitar. Two months buddy.
Claire: No one on the whole earth sings better than you do. I would love it if you sang in my homecoming in church!!!!!!!!
Grace: Don't you dare grow up anymore. We have so so so so much to do when I get back!
Davis: I miss you. (sneeze)
   I love you all so much! Thank you for all that you do for me! I will continue working and giving it all that I have until the end!!!!!!!!!!!
Until next week, Hasta la siguiente semana,
Elder James Ricks
MOM,
 How is Robb doing? Tell him that I have a lot to talk to him about in two months and that I want him in my homecoming in Texas! :) I love you so much.  I have a really bad rash, just so you know. In Spanish it is called Escabiasis and it is due to a parasite called acaros. I have been to a dermotologo (I forgot how to say skin doctor in English), and she gave me some awesome medicines and it is little by little getting better. I sent pictures so you can see how it is.  The other pictures are of my generation of missionaries. We all came here to Veracruz together from the MTC. I love the picture where we are all looking in different directions. :)

No comments: