Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, January 2, 2012

Back in Veracruz!

My Dear Family,

I cannot believe yet another week has past by. I have probably said that every letter of my mission, but it really is trippy how fast the time flies. It is now 2012! The year of the Ricks. We will reach new heights, learn new lessons, and make new experiences, and I am exploding with excitement for what this year has to offer. Changes are over and everything is settling down now. I am in Veracruz again and its a little piece of heaven. My last ward, in Poza Rica had an assistance of 30-40 people and here in my ward in Camino Real, it is about 300! There is so much support and I already am in love with this place. The bishop is one of the finest bishops I have ever met. He reminds me alot of Andy Barfuss. I am absolutely thrilled to be here and am ready to hit it hard this next year and light up the font! This will likely be my last area, so I am not holding anything back. My companion is Elder Realivazquez and there are no words to explain him. He is from Oaxaca and is one of the most humble missionaries I have ever met. I love him so much and like always it is so fun to help out a new missionary. He has had a rough mission. He is actually from the same generation of Elder Del Valle, my last companion. He arrived here in the mission and was here for two weeks, and unfortunately was sent back home for severe medical problems in his intestines and stomach. After being in his house 2 months, he finally was cleared to come back. I was so happy to find out that I was going to be his trainer. I had already known him in Poza Rica and was so sad when he had to go. He is so happy and grateful to be here again. We have had to take it a little easy for his health, but I can really see his desire to serve the Lord. The other night, something so sacred to me happened that I will never forget. We had laid down to sleep and he had been silent for about 10 minutes. Like always, my mind was racing thinking about one million things at once. He said, "Elder Ricks, I am so grateful to have you as my trainer." I couldn't help but get tears in my eyes. He is so special and we will have such a successful time together as a divine companionship.

Speaking of out-of-the-park companions, Elder Harmon says to tell everyone hi! He an I haven't seen each other since Catemaco over a year ago, and now I am in his zone! He is our zone leader and I enjoy being a district leader in his zone! He is really doing great and is exactly the same how he was in Catemaco. I love him alot too. While I am thinking about Catemaco, I have possibly one of the best announcements, that I think I have ever given. Do you all remember the Charmin Family from Catemaco that we baptized together, Elder Harmon and I? The were baptized on the 12th of February, 2011 and they almost have one year as members. The announcement is this, in about two months, Elder Harmon and I will have the enormous blessing and opportunity to take that family to the Veracruz Temple to be sealed for time and all eternity. Words cannot explain how I feel. It is a joy that I have never felt. They are now the strongest family in their branch and put their own goal of going to the temple. I will obviously send like a trillion photos and keep you all updated on how that goes.

New year means new goals and new plans. Some of my new goals this year are to always smile and share more frequently my testimony. Obviously reading the Book of Mormon and personal goals as well. I also haven't yet had my 2012 yearly goal planning yet because it has been so busy, but I will be sure to do it. I am so excited for the future. It will be a very sad and happy year. 2012 means taking off the name tag and leaving behind my pamphlets and copies of the Book of Mormon. It will be the hardest thing I have ever done. Happy, because I will see, my 7 best friends. Thank you so much for all your support and prayers. I always pray for each an everyone of you. Until next week!

Elder James Ricks


Mom,

There is a Walmart in my area and today we went there to shop. They have an optics center and I went and asked how much it would be for the frames, lenses, and exam and she told me about 3000 pesos. Thats about 250 dollars. I am good for now on glasses but would like to check out some new ones. These that I have are hideously dirty and old. Ha ha Let me know what you think. There is plenty of time! ;) Something funny... the Walmart that we have in our area is closer to our house than the Church is. And the church building is only 2 blocks away. HAHA Love you!

No comments: