My Dear Family,
The time really has flown by. We have been so busy and have been working our tails off here in Camino Real. The work is progressing and I am really enjoying such a big area and ward. There really is alot of support and love from the members. They all call me Mexican, because apparently I don't have anything of an accent. They all think I am lying when I tell them I am from Texas. I tell everyone I´m from Texas by the way. I don't say I am from Utah. Is that okay? Ha ha I like saying I am from Texas.
I have had a really hard week. Its actually been a long time since I have had such a hard week. It seemed like everything we did worked out amazingly, and then the next day, in the second lesson, they would hand the Book of Mormon back or tell us that they weren´t that interested. It is so hard to be rejected, especially as a missionary. You never really do get used to it. But it is so interesting how the Lord works. He tests us until we can´t go any farther and then, and only then, He comes in at the last minute and blesses us, and we forget all that we had to go through for that one blessing. This week we had about 5 baptismal dates that we just golden... ready to go to the water in two weeks. But for different reasons, all fell. Some because they couldn´t make it to church and others for lack of desire; the point is that it was hard to see them drop like flies. My companion and I decided to fast this last Saturday until Sunday afternoon and it really helped. In the second hour of church, a man who has been coming to church for months, but hasn´t yet decided to be baptized, came up to me and said, "Its my time. I want to be baptized next week!" I´m not kidding that is exactly what he said. I about started crying right there on the spot, when I recognized the Saviors hand in my life. It is what I love the most about being a missionary. Everyday something happens like that. But it just doesn't´t happen for nothing, or for the simple fact that you`re a missionary. You got to get out there and look for those people. It really is just as Dad explained to me in his last words at the curb of the MTC. "Its a game. Now go out and win it." Its a mix of skills, strength, knowledge, and devotion, and a whole lot of the spirit.
It is not easy realizing that it is coming to an end. I have things still to do and am extremely focused and working like never before. One of my biggest fears is that a member here in the ward, or my family, say to me, "Elder Ricks is a little trunky `cause he´s going home in four months." It motivates me to work even harder. :) The highlight of my week, has been the finding of a beautiful spiritual truth, and amazing object lesson. It is called the "Renovation of an Eagle." I am sure if you look it up on the internet, you can read more about it, but its like this:
Eagles live a maximum of 70 years. But 37 years into their lives, they are forced to take an enormous and important decision. At 37 years old, an eagles beak is no longer how it was at birth. At this age, the beak begins to curl in towards his chest, making it actually impossible to eat for the eagle. Apart from that, his talons also begin to curl in and it reaches the point where they cannot pick things up like fish or food when hunting. So they pretty much die at this age, starving. But, if they take one very hard, important decision (a 150 day process), they can live 33 years longer. This is what they have to do. The first step is that they have to fly to a high high mountain and establish a nest where they will not have to fly anywhere. Next begins the painful process of hitting their head against sharp rocks until the old beak breaks off and allows a new good beak to grow back. With that new, strong sharp beak, he then begins to pull out his old talons and allow new talons to grow back. After this step, he has to pluck all the old and worn out feathers and wait for the new ones to grow back. Five months later, and after a brutally painful experience that nearly kills the eagle, he flies back down from the mountain and enjoys 33 more years of life. Just think about that. I imagine that there are so many eagles who say, "No way am I going to go through all that" and those are the ones that die at 37 years old. I also imagine that the eagles who sacrifice themselves and go through that horrible process, afterwards look back and say, "I am thankful for having gone through that refining process. It wasn´t easy, but it was worth the pain." We daily must also renew ourselves. We have to break off our beaks of pride, hate, jealousy, and envy, pluck out the sins, temptations, and distractions, and rip out the bad influences that cause us to "die" spiritually at a very young age. If we go through the same metaphorical process as the eagle, we as well can receive a spiritually longer life. Personally, I learned so much from this analogy and real occurrence. I never knew about that. David in the Bible actually talks about it. In Psalms 103:5-6. Check it out! I have begun a serious process of purification and refinement. That is why I love this church. With the gospel we can make those changes. With out the gospel it is like smacking your beak on a rock for five months, without a purpose. We are so blessed to be members of the true church and share the gospel with the whole world. I love my life and my family, my testimony and my mission. I love you all so much! Thank you for your support and love! Until next week!
Elder James Ricks
Mom,
Sounds good! Today I went and got the exam and the prescription is a little bit stronger that my last pair of glasses. Everything worked out fine! I will be picking up the glasses on the 20th, so everything will work out! Love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment