Follow Elder James Ricks as he serves in the Mexico Veracruz Mission

Monday, January 23, 2012

First baptism in Camino Real

My Dear Family,
I cannot believe I am 21 years old! It feels weird, Im not gonna lie! Ha ha It has been an amazing week, just like always and I am thrilled to say that this last week, we had our first baptism here in Camino Real. His name is Esteban Hernandez Sanchez and he is really sincere, quiet guy. His wife is a member and has been praying for 8 months that he would get baptized. One day in church, he just came up to us (we still didnt know who he was) and told us he had made the decision to be baptized! VAMANOS! 11 days later, FONT! It is such a blessing to be a missionary. I never want it to end. I live under the airport and I don't like hearing airplanes land and take off all day! I remember when I lived in Taylorsville, I didn't like hearing airplanes there either! Ha ha Wierd how things never change.
I feel that I am really progressing. I wouldn't rather be any other way right now at this time. Many missionaries get to feel that they know everything and really stop progressing. Working with Elder Realivazquez has been interesting. I have had to teach him like he was an investigator. He has an interesting set of problems and has doubts about the misison and it has been a new trial and obstacle, learning how to help him overcome his problems. The biggest is that he is often scared to invite people to be batpized, for fear that they will close up and reject. I have explained that we came here to invite and to baptize, not just to talk to people. Everything begins with an invitation. He is really trying his best to improve and help me. This next saturday, we have 4 baptisms! We are going to baptize a father and his two children, and a lady named Claudia! They are all special people and I love them all so much. We were listening to a song my companion and I this morning and it said that the most important prayer that we pray as missionaries, is that we might be filled by the father, with the pure love of the son. I can really feel his love for his children and I am so thankful for the trust and confidence he has placed in me.
I had an awesome birthday and I could feel your support and love and prayers from thousand of miles away. I always do. I hope and pray that our family will continue to receive the blessings that we need. It is always healthy to put away the electronics for a few days and read a book, or pass the time with the family. That is another thing I love about the mission. I really feel seperated from the world and it just stuns me some of the things that exist right now. Nitrogen gas made ice cream, iphones that text for you, I wonder what Isaias and Moses and Joseph Smith thought when they saw our day. I am sure they were freaked out! :)
I had better get going for now. I haven't been able to send photos for the longest time and still can' t because my memory card has a virus and is weird. I have a guy that is going to clean my card this week and I will send lots of photos this next week! Love you all so much! Thank you for all you do for me!
Elder James Ricks

No comments: