I wanted to start this letter with my journal entry from my first day in the field. We have to time limit to email in the field so this should be a good letter! :)
------------
JUNE 25th, 2010:
Today was my first day in the field. On June 23rd I was re-assigned to the SLC south Mission. It has been a CRAZY day. My first companions are Elder De Menezes from Brazil and Elder Lopez. My first area is the Taylorsville, UT zone and my MP is President Laney. Today I've eaten spaghetti with ranch dressing for sauce. I've had spicy lemonade that has horse milk in it. I've watched "Lady and the Tramp". I was given a tamale by someone I didn't know and I helped find two new investigators, Jesus and David. I've never rode a bike so far, hard, or as much as I have today. Man this work is hard. It is hard to be rejected by someone face to face. On the other hand it is amazing to see a little tiny, dim light turn on in someone’s eyes when you tell them you have a message that can change their lives. My trainers both are fluent in Spanish!!! Elder Lopez is actually from Veracruz Mexico! Missionary work is so fun. For my whole life though, I imagined what it would feel like to be sweating like a pig, cruising down the road, on a bike, wearing a missionary nametag. I realized while I was flying down the freeway in Taylorsville that I felt the same. I was expecting some mighty change but that isn't how it works. I am still the same person.
My first "mission meal" was.... humble. It was nothing more than rice and a stew of beef and peas. I realized then, how much I loved the Mexican culture and how much I have to be grateful for in my life. They will literally give you everything they have and go without food. It was surprising to me how much it felt like the MTCV when we were knocking on doors for 2 hours. I don't like tracting-I'd rather be teaching inside someone's house getting my Spanish better. It definitely is coming along though........."
-------------------------------
My awesome family, If you can't tell, I am loving every minute here. The people here are not wealthy. I haven't been in a house since the MTC that had air conditioning or more than two rooms. But the church is still true here! My life is CHANGING!!!! I ride a bike probably about 25-30 miles a day. And even though I want to come home and cry every night, I LOVE IT! Yesterday, we found a family of 5 people and are all new investigators! Before I forget, Mondays are my p-day! And I think I get mail every Tuesday at District Meetings. Today we went to Wal-Mart and bought food. I told the Elders I was going to make them dinner tomorrow because our appt fell through ( we usually eat with members every day lunch and dinner. ) and I bought all the stuff for making those personal pizzas with English muffins!! Today we also cleaned the house. I bought Fabuloso today at the store and I got homesick when I smelt. Mom.. I'm so grateful for the lessons you taught me. The bathroom was nasty and the fridge was horrible. It felt good to clean the heck out of everything.
I don't have much more time because I also need to write my president a letter but I just wanted to say thanks again! Can't wait to leave SLC and get to Veracruz!!!! I will write a hand written letter tonight and hopefully get it out by tomorrow or the next day. I love you all so much! I can't believe I'm already out serving!!! Unfortunately, I won't be able to get back on and check for a response unless it’s within a 1/2 hour. I love you all and want you to know I know the church is true and that I'm happy and working hard to be useful to the Lord!! Give everyone a big hug for me.
MOM AND DAD.... Read first Nephi 1:1. "I (James Ricks) have been born of goodly parents." I love you both so much. Thank you so much for your example to me and the strength you give me each day through your prayers. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Elder James Reed Ricks
Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment